Choosing an estate planning attorney is a crucial step in protecting your assets and ensuring that your wishes are honored after you pass away. Estate planning involves creating a plan for the distribution of your assets, as well as making arrangements for healthcare and end-of-life decisions. Here are some tips for choosing the right estate planning attorney.
- Determine your needs Before you start your search for an estate planning attorney, take some time to think about what you need. Do you have a large estate that requires complex planning? Are you concerned about tax implications? Do you have specific wishes for how your assets should be distributed? Knowing what you need will help you find an attorney who is well-equipped to handle your specific situation.
- Look for experience and expertise Estate planning is a complex area of law, and it’s important to find an attorney who has experience and expertise in this field. Look for an attorney who has a strong track record of successfully handling estate planning cases. Stick with an attorney whose practice focuses on estate planning, not a general practitioner who just dabbles in estate planning. Ask friends, family members, and other professionals for recommendations. You can also check an attorney’s website to see if they have any information about their experience and expertise in estate planning.
- Consider their approach It’s important to find an estate planning attorney who takes a personalized approach to their clients’ needs. They should take the time to listen to your concerns and goals, and help you understand the different options available to you. They should also be able to provide clear and straightforward answers to your questions.
- Evaluate their communication skills Effective communication is critical in estate planning. Your attorney should be able to explain complex legal concepts in a way that you can understand. They should also be responsive and easy to reach. Your calls and emails should be timely returned. Make sure you feel comfortable asking questions and discussing your concerns with your attorney.
- Ask about their fees Some attorneys charge flat fees, some charge hourly fees, and others charge a combination of the two. An attorney should be very upfront about their fees and the costs for your matter. Before you hire an attorney, it’s important to have a clear understanding of their fees. Ask about the estimated cost of your estate plan and any other associated expenses. You should also find out if they offer a free consultation.
- Check their credentials Finally, make sure you choose an attorney who is licensed to practice law in the state of Missouri and has a good reputation. You can check an attorney’s credentials by looking at the Missouri Bar Association website.
- Interview several attorneys to see who you’re best able to work with and whose style and personality clicks with yours.
In conclusion, choosing the right estate planning attorney in St. Louis is essential for ensuring that your assets and wishes are protected. Look for an attorney who has experience, expertise, and a personalized approach, and who you feel comfortable communicating with. Consider their fees, credentials, and communication skills, and do your research to find the right attorney for you.
To learn how the law applies to your specific circumstances, schedule your FREE consultation with an experienced estate planning attorney online or call our office at 314-727-0163.